Update on my Sword Bouquets

One of the first things I decided to make on my long, long list of DIY stuff for the wedding was the wedding flowers. I had originally wanted to make them out of fabric, and I made about 100, but then I didn’t like them. Wish I could have figured that out after the 3rd one, not the 99th. Hah.

So I started experimenting with coffee filter flowers and I liked them! Before I made those though, I came up with this idea to make the bouquet handle out of a sword hilt. I ordered the swords and got to work. The flowers are very time consuming, the deep purple ones with the buttons in the middle take me about 20 minutes to make 1! However, to balance that, the fluffy stringy pink and yellow ones take like less than 1 minute to make. The white and pink roses take about 5 minutes, if I’m rushing. So, they sort of balance out. I still need to make a ton more though, but here are my first 2 bouquets, all done!

IMG_1100

Each has 4 different flowers: the darker purple button flowers, the pink and yellow fluffy things, a large white rose, and a smaller white and pink ombre rose. I then used 2 slightly different shades of green card stock for the leaves at the bottom. Once I stuck the flowers in the white styrofoam ball, I noticed that you could see into the bouquet and still see the styrofoam. So, I bought some sheer light green chiffon in the same color as the leaves and wove that through the flowers in the ball. You can hardly see it, but it does allow some green to pop through, and more importantly, you don’t see white styrofoam!

IMG_1099IMG_1102

The only ‘problem’ is that I can’t lay them down, because they’ll crush their own flowers. I can’t stand it up either, so I just set them in mason jars. I’m a little worried about driving them all the way from Kansas to Texas for the wedding, but these are my biggest project for the wedding, so we’ll find a way!

IMG_1103

I know they look like they’re different sizes, but the one on the right is sitting at a different angle.

I have 6 bridesmaids, but for my maid of honor, I’m going to get her a special sword hilt. So, I have 5 hilts now. These two of the bouquets are the same hilt pictured above, and the other 3 are going to be Sting! My own bouquet is a weird version of Anduril I bought for super cheap.

IMG_1105Now, to get to work on the rest! Sadly, I have used almost all of my flowers I had already made, so I need to make a ton more. But, these two finished ones are so encouraging!

Here are some tutorials on how I  did the sword hilt and some of my flowers:

Sword Hilt Tutorial

Coffee Filter Tutorial

Thanks for reading, I’m off to make flowers for the rest of my life.

breecraft

 

 

 

Advertisements

About skittlekittle

Born and raised outside of Houston, Texas, Shanon then moved to Kansas for school. She earned her degree in technical theatre, majoring in props making and managing. She met her fiance while they were both in school, and he proposed to her at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival in Oct. 2013. Now, she spends all of her free time making things for their upcoming wedding in Oct. 2015!
This entry was posted in Bouquet, Bouquets and Flowers, My Wedding, Tutorials and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Update on my Sword Bouquets

  1. Pingback: Florist meeting and the Venue | BreeCraft

  2. Pingback: One year Later | BreeCraft

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s